Charles F. Lutes - a tribute

John Manning

Dec 5, 2002, 5:12:03 PM12/5/02

Please visit the website: http://www.charlieandhelen.com/index.html

On December 7th, 2001 Charlie Lutes passed away peacefully in his
Scottsdale home. He
is survived by his sister, Katherine, and literally thousands of friends
and admirers all over
the world. His wife, Helen, passed away on May 9th of this year. They
had been married
over 60 years.

As a young man, Charlie suffered from a strange illness. It would come
and go and caused
him to become disoriented. It became so bad that Charlie's company
assigned a driver to
him as he made his rounds selling steel and building materials.
Charlie's doctor told him
that the very next time he had one of his spells he was to come to the
office immediately.
He then told his nurse that when Charlie came in he was to be taken
immediately to an
examination room.

A short time later Charlie had one of his spells and he reported to the
doctor as ordered.
The doctor examined him and said, "I'm sorry to tell you this, but
you're dying. In a few
minutes you won't be able to talk, so if there is anything you want to
say, tell me now.
Charlie told the doctor to call his wife, Helen, "Tell her I love her,
and then send my body
over to Forest Lawn." The doctor told Charlie that soon he wouldn't be
able to move, then
he would lose the use of his senses, but he last to go would be his
sense of hearing. Charlie
lay on the table for a few minutes and then thought of something else he
wanted to tell the
doctor, but he was unable to move. He could hear the doctor talking to
the nurse. He said,
"I hate to lose him. He's been a good friend. He'll be the second one
this week and that's
bad for business." Then he told the nurse to prepare a syringe because
he was going to
give Charlie a shot directly into the heart in a final effort to help
him. Charlie didn't feel
anything. He then heard the doctor tell the nurse, "He's gone."

A few minutes later Charlie was visited by an angelic being who
communicated with him. He
didn't use words. On that level the meaning goes straight to the heart,
but for the sake of
writing about it, we will say he "spoke" to Charlie. Charlie felt a
heavenly peace. He was
told that he had done well and could now come home, or he could choose
to stay, and if he
stayed he could be of more service than he had ever dreamed possible.
Charlie told the
being that if he could be of service he would stay. More than anything
else, that statement
sums up Charlie's life. His has been a life of unbelievably great
service.

Charlie regained consciousness a few minutes later and walked out of the
doctor's office, to
the shock of both the doctor and nurse who thought he was dead. He
slowly recovered from
the strange illness over the next several months. His life also began to
change.

He parked his car in front of a printer's shop one day on his way to a
business appointment.
The printer came out and handed Charlie a book and told him to read it
and then bring it
back. Charlie didn't know the printer and asked him if he wanted him to
sign for the book.
The printer said no and to just bring it back when he got through. The
book was about
reincarnation.

Charlie said he learned quite a lot from that printer. Later both he and
Helen studied with
Manly P. Hall. Eventually they were both invited to become members of
the School of the
Mysteries.

In May of 1959, Helen saw an advertisement for a lecture on meditation
which was to be
given at the Masquer's Club in Los Angeles. The lecture would be given
by Maharishi
Mahesh Yogi of the Himalayas, India. Maharishi was unknown at that time.
It was his first
world tour and it was to be his first lecture in the continental United
States. Charlie wasn't
very interested in attending, but Helen made sure they both went.
Charlie said that it wasn't
very many minutes into the lecture before he realized this was what he
had been searching
for. A short time later Maharishi initiated them into Transcendental
Meditation. Charlie
was the first person in the continental U.S. to be initiated by
Maharishi.

Among that first group of initiates were several who were eager to help
Maharishi.
Everyone wanted to be closer to the master. He stayed at the home of
Roland and Helena
Olson for a few months during that first visit. One day Maharishi asked
Charlie, "You like
to be with me?" Charlie said that he enjoyed it. Maharishi said, "No.
You want to BE with
me?" Charlie then understood and said, "What about the others?"
Maharishi said, "I take
care of."

After that Charlie began to drive Maharishi to and from his lectures and
became
Maharishi's right-hand-man, but Maharishi never explained it to anyone
else. Everyone
thought Charlie had just pushed his way into the inner circle. It was
the beginning of
feelings of resentment and jealousy directed against Charlie that he
would have to live with
for the rest of his life.

One day Charlie told his teacher at the School of the Mysteries that he
had been initiated
into Transcendental Meditation by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi from India. His
teacher said,
"Don't pay too much attention to him. He's just another traveling
Indian." Later he told
Maharishi that he was a member of the School of the Mysteries. Maharishi
said, "Good,
good." He then told Maharishi what his teacher had said. Maharishi
laughed and said, "We
will have some fun. For your school to be valid, your teacher has to be
connected to the
hierarchy of gods on the inner plane. Tell your teacher to contact the
hierarchy and ask
them who, on earth, has the highest spiritual teaching. We will go by
what he says."

Charlie told his teacher at the Mystery School, who wasn't very happy
about it but agreed
anyway. A few days later Charlie was told, "I give you leave from the
School of the
Mysteries. Your Maharishi has the highest spiritual teaching in all of
creation. You are to
follow him."

On July 25th and 26th of 1959, the first International Convention of the
Spiritual
Regeneration Movement was held by Maharishi in Sequoia National Park. At
that
convention Maharishi announced his goal to spiritualize the whole world.
An engineer
present said it would take Maharishi over a hundred years to initiate
the number of people
he wanted. Maharishi said, "I duplicate myself," and the plan to train
initiators was
conceived. Among the things discussed was where to build an
International Academy of
Meditation to train the initiators. About half the people wanted it in
India and the other half
wanted it in the U.S. where more modern facilities were available. Then
Charlie pointed out
that a teacher trained in the Himalayas would have more appeal o his
audience than a
teacher trained in Los Angeles. His concise reasoning and his ability to
clearly
communicate his ideas put an end to the discussion and resulted in the
Academy being build
at Rishikesh, India.

Maharishi made Charlie the President of the Spiritual Regeneration
Movement (SRM).
Later, as people wanted other organizations formed he also became
President of the
Students International Meditation Society (SIMS) and President of the
International
Transcendental Meditation Society (ITMS). Many years ago, he received
from Maharishi
the highest initiation possible for a human. At that time Maharishi told
him to "always be
Charlie." He became a World Governor, one of three in the world at that
time, and he ran
the movement for Maharishi for over twenty years. He also served on the
board of
directors of MIU in Fairfield, Iowa. Through all of this, he never
allowed himself to be
introduced by any of his titles, nor did he allow himself to be called
Mr. Lutes. He was
simply Charlie to everyone.

Since his retirement from the movement several years ago, Charlie has
worked tirelessly
for one thing -- to inform meditators of the greatness of what they have
and to inspire them
to stay on the path.

Thank you God, for letting us be friends of this remarkable man.
---

MORE:

Charles F. Lutes,

born October 23, 1912, (89), of Scottsdale, Arizona, who ascended this
life peacefully at
home on December 7th, has reunited with Helen, his wife, who passed last
May.

He is survived by his sister Catherine, niece Linda Sanders, and an
extended family of
thousands around the world who loved him dearly for his divine wisdom
and inspiration.
Charles F. Lutes, who was known simply as "Charlie" was a great
spiritual leader who had
the unique honor of being the right hand man to His Holiness Maharishi
Mahesh Yogi.

Charlie was in the first group of Initiates when Maharishi came to this
country. He traveled
around the world four times, alone with Maharishi in the beginning days,
laying the
organizational foundations of the Spiritual Regeneration Movement to
introduce
Transcendental Meditation to spiritually regenerate the world. He then
served Maharishi
selflessly for over 40 years lecturing about spirituality, and working
with his wife, guiding
people in their spiritual unfoldment.

He was a leader among leaders, a man of God, who touched many hearts.
For those who
knew him, he had the greatest spiritual mind in America. A plaque given
to Charlie on his
77th birthday says it best,

"To Charlie with our heartfelt gratitude for your continuous and patient
spiritual
guidance. By revealing the highest wisdom and always being there for
each one of us, you
have become our mentor, father, brother and truest friend. Our path to
enlightenment has
become infinitely brighter by your illuminated presence. We lovingly
salute the divinity in
you and thank you for your inspiration, devotion and dedication."

Charlie inspired countless thousands of meditators to be regular with
their meditation by
giving deep insight and spiritual knowledge of the effects and benefits
of T.M.

Charlie had the unique ability to take complex spiritual knowledge and
make it
understandable and usable in everyday life for the benefit of all those
who heard. He spoke
from direct experience not hearsay.

Many 'gifts' were bestowed on Charlie by Maharishi during their years
together. Years
later these techniques would be included in what is now called the T.M.
Sidhi Program.

Some of Charlie's titles and positions were;

President of the Spiritual Regeneration Movement and the Students
International Meditation Society. Original
Trustee of Maharishi International University and Board Of Directors of
Maharishi International University.

Charlie's final message:

"Never doubt you have the highest wisdom
on earth. You are the lights…Keep the
lights burning."

http://www.charlieandhelen.com/love1.html

BillyG.

Dec 5, 2002, 7:33:26 PM12/5/02
Thanks John...but, Shemp already posted this website and message.

"John Manning" <joh...@terra.com.br> wrote in message

> on earth. You are the lights.Keep the
> lights burning."
>

> http://www.charlieandhelen.com/love1.html

John Manning

Dec 6, 2002, 9:35:26 AM12/6/02

"BillyG." wrote:

> Thanks John...but, Shemp already posted this website and message.

Sorry. I noticed the link that he posted, but not the message.

Chet

Dec 8, 2002, 3:23:29 PM12/8/02
On Thu, 05 Dec 2002 20:12:03 -0200, John Manning
<joh...@terra.com.br> wrote:

>Since his retirement from the movement several years ago, Charlie has
>worked tirelessly
>for one thing -- to inform meditators of the greatness of what they have
>and to inspire them
>to stay on the path.

John, hi ...

Please explain something to me. I understand the great
respect you had for Charlie. You've written of it here,
quite a number of times as I recall.

You post the message that Charlie "worked tirelessly

for one thing -- to inform meditators of the greatness
of what they have and to inspire them to stay on the

path." But at the same time you have been unequivocally
critical of MMY and the movement, and have said that
you felt more love in your heart as a child than you
did after many years of practicing TM.

Charlie and his former teacher Mr. Hall became
convinced that there was no higher teaching in Creation
than MMY's. Yet you've expressed that you cannot
stomach the movement and have no respect for MMY.

How does all of this go together for you? Among other
things, I'm just wondering why you posted the complete
Charlie bio.

Thanks...

... Chet

yoganta

Dec 8, 2002, 8:03:59 PM12/8/02
Manley Hall does not practice TM, never had, and has never said so.

"Chet" <mcca...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Jeff E

Dec 8, 2002, 10:15:15 PM12/8/02
For John's position see below
From: joh...@biohard.com.br (John Manning)
Newsgroups: alt.meditation.transcendental
Subject: Shiva is a pussy
Date: 12 Oct 2001 22:49:53 -0700

I have experienced the energy of 'Shiva'. 'He' is a lower level 'god'
that only has the power that you give 'him'.

YOU are the creator of your own life. Shiva, like all of the other
'gods' have no strength unless you give them that strength. It was a
hard lesson for me to learn that MMY (I am told that 'Mahesh' means
Shiva) is a low level manipulating con man with 'some' abilities -
also low level.

Who you are is a perfect, eternal expression of GOD. All of the other
jokers in the deck are just players like you. You are
multi-dimensional unto infinity and always have been. The belief
structure surounding TMr's is, interestingly, somewhat accurate to the
extent that your true self is untouchable, untainted; even
unreachable. The con is that you have to buy a BS trip to find it out.

Shiva; the 'destroyer of ignorance', is an illusion. There is no
ignorance unless you choose it. Your heart already knows the truth.
There is no magic puja or vedic ritual or 'guru' that can replace the
truth of YOU. If you are unhappy, then you can change your
circumstances. Obviously, MMY cannot make this change for you. He is
obsessed with making a buck for his personal agenda.

Shiva, while real, (to the extent that YOU give him/it reality) is
basically full of shit. Brahma and Vishnu are also full of shit and
enjoy your worship - and have NO POWER if you don't kiss their asses.

YOU are the cause and end result. That other stuff is crap compared to
who you are.

From a practical point of view, all you have to do is to look at India
- the bastion of Shankara - and its pathetic results in human life;
very similar to MMY's pathetic results and current endeavors. He can't
even go back to India without facing massive tax violations. He would
be arrested and taken into custody.

The hope is inherent within you. The truth is inherent within you.
Peace is inherently within you - as is happiness and fulfillment.

Love is a very abused word. But just loving your kitty cat, the
sunrise, or your neighbor who is suffering or not suffering - that is
love expressed and is the love of God.

(I am NOT a Christian, though I love Christ.) Shiva certainly is not
Christ - and certainly MMY does not represent the values of Christ.

You will find your way home. All of us are in the 'in-between' part.
But love, God's love inside of ourselves, will bring us home - ALL of
us! Your heart knows.

John Manning

Chet

Dec 9, 2002, 1:36:49 AM12/9/02
On Mon, 9 Dec 2002 13:15:15 +1000, "Jeff E"
<parad...@winshop.com.au> wrote:

<snip>

>YOU are the cause and end result. That other stuff is crap compared to
>who you are.
>
>From a practical point of view, all you have to do is to look at India
>- the bastion of Shankara - and its pathetic results in human life;
>very similar to MMY's pathetic results and current endeavors. He can't
>even go back to India without facing massive tax violations. He would
>be arrested and taken into custody.
>
>The hope is inherent within you. The truth is inherent within you.
>Peace is inherently within you - as is happiness and fulfillment.
>
>Love is a very abused word. But just loving your kitty cat, the
>sunrise, or your neighbor who is suffering or not suffering - that is
>love expressed and is the love of God.
>
>(I am NOT a Christian, though I love Christ.) Shiva certainly is not
>Christ - and certainly MMY does not represent the values of Christ.
>
>You will find your way home. All of us are in the 'in-between' part.
>But love, God's love inside of ourselves, will bring us home - ALL of
>us! Your heart knows.
>
>John Manning

So, John...

You feel that this was what both Charlie and Manly Hall
were refering to... the unitive reality, or intuition,
or realization... *not* TM. Am I understanding
correctly what you are saying?

But if that is the case, why should Charlie have
*followed* MMY? Why should he have served him and the
early TMO?

Afterall, MMY was teaching Charlie and everyone else
TM. While MMY's articulated philosophy might discuss
the unitive reality, MMY's whole emphasis has been on
getting people to learn TM, get advanced techniques,
take residence courses, etc. Would this role for
Charlie not, then, have been "the long way around"??

You admire Charlie, but Charlie believed in and served
the movement, for many years.

What do you think of that?

... Chet

John Manning

Dec 9, 2002, 8:06:21 AM12/9/02

Chet wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Dec 2002 20:12:03 -0200, John Manning
> <joh...@terra.com.br> wrote:
>

> >Since his retirement from the movement several years ago, Charlie has
> >worked tirelessly
> >for one thing -- to inform meditators of the greatness of what they have
> >and to inspire them
> >to stay on the path.
> >

> John, hi ...
>
> Please explain something to me. I understand the great
> respect you had for Charlie. You've written of it here,
> quite a number of times as I recall.
>
> You post the message that Charlie "worked tirelessly
> for one thing -- to inform meditators of the greatness
> of what they have and to inspire them to stay on the
> path." But at the same time you have been unequivocally
> critical of MMY and the movement, and have said that
> you felt more love in your heart as a child than you
> did after many years of practicing TM.

That's not exactly correct. I have felt a recognition of Divinity and
love since I was about 5 yrs old. I still can feel and recognize that
same thing. And while I was involved with the Movement, I had worked
exclusively under SRM as an initiator and reported directly to Charlie.
SRM characterized and gave expression to what I had known since
childhood.

At that same time, Jerry Jarvis and SIMS were taking center stage. This
was when the TMO went 'scientific'. (That doesn't mean that SRM
disappeared. It never did. In fact, I personally know 6 SRM initiators.)
The only thing I can say is that the people in SIMS under and including
Jerry Jarvis, had a very deep disdain for SRM and its 'spiritual'
approach. I had very many ugly experiences from these people. What you
see as the TMO today is the result of *their* 'approach'. And *their*
'approach' is, to me, a polar opposite to what I experienced with SRM.
Not only did they not represent what I experienced in SRM, but actively
sought out to destroy it. And they have effectively done so in the TMO
at large.

The beginning of the end came for me when, in the middle of all of this
I went to Humboldt to see Maharishi to ask him about it...

From 'My TM Story':

We were abrupty ushered into a small motel room. As I recall, it was
just a bed and a bathroom. Very small. MMY was sitting cross-legged on
the end of the bed. Jerry Jarvis was sitting next to him on his right
with his legs to the floor. After the customary 'Jai Guru Dev', MMY
said, "Why are you here?" I was put aside a bit, but I said to him, I
have some questions." MMY said, "Ask your questions." I said to him,
"Maharishi, you used to talk about God and spirituality. Now, God and
spirituality seem to have been replaced with something else." Jerry
Jarvis then, with a smirk, said in the most disgusting and offensive and
loud way, "Don't you think "we" like God?"

I ignored Jerry and looked to MMY. I said, "Maharishi, I don't
understand." MMY pointed to Carolyn and said, "'SHE' understands!" He
said it *VERY* harshly. Then he said, "GO!"

Carolyn was the mother of my three children. She had done this stuff
innocently. She and my first son, aged 5 (at the time), had gone through
TTC at Humboldt and Estes Park. I was quite shaken by MMY's answer and I
looked to my wife for the 'understanding' that MMY had said that she
had. We quickly went out the door and she would not speak until we
eventually reached the motel. When she was finally able to speak, she
said, "I don't know anything. I'm terrified and I'm getting the fuck out
of here whether you come with me or not!"

> Charlie and his former teacher Mr. Hall became
> convinced that there was no higher teaching in Creation
> than MMY's. Yet you've expressed that you cannot
> stomach the movement and have no respect for MMY.

I hope I've made my perspective clear here.

> How does all of this go together for you? Among other
> things, I'm just wondering why you posted the complete
> Charlie bio.

He was a critically important and significant figure in the beginnings
of the Movement. I don't see why you'd think there was a problem with
posting it.

John

> Thanks...
>
> ... Chet

John Manning

Dec 9, 2002, 8:09:53 AM12/9/02

Unlike Charlie, I was not able to stomach the TMO.

John

> ... Chet

Ken Hassman

Dec 9, 2002, 11:15:02 AM12/9/02
John,

Hey thanks for the post and especially for the link to the tribute
website. Though Jessimine Verril was my initiator, Charlie did my
three nights of checking and was great as always and ever. On the
third night, where we usually talk about development of higher states
of consciousness, he told us that if you died unenlightened, the pain
as the soul was ripped out the top of the skull was the equivalent to
the sting of 10,000 scorpions and I really tripped out-thought the
whole thing was great. A woman in the group got upset and Charlie,
using a phrase I was to hear him repeat many many times over the many
years I went to hear him/see him said, "Just treat it like fiction"
(something close to that).

Ken Hassman

John Manning

Dec 9, 2002, 12:01:53 PM12/9/02

Ken Hassman wrote:

> John,
>
> Hey thanks for the post and especially for the link to the tribute
> website. Though Jessimine Verril was my initiator, Charlie did my
> three nights of checking and was great as always and ever. On the
> third night, where we usually talk about development of higher states
> of consciousness, he told us that if you died unenlightened, the pain
> as the soul was ripped out the top of the skull was the equivalent to
> the sting of 10,000 scorpions and I really tripped out-thought the
> whole thing was great. A woman in the group got upset and Charlie,
> using a phrase I was to hear him repeat many many times over the many
> years I went to hear him/see him said, "Just treat it like fiction"
> (something close to that).

There was only one Charlie Lutes. That's for sure.

John

Chet

Dec 9, 2002, 12:29:02 PM12/9/02
On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 11:09:53 -0200, John Manning
<joh...@terra.com.br> wrote:

>Unlike Charlie, I was not able to stomach the TMO.
>
>John

Okay, yes, I can understand that point.

But you were involved with it for many years. You must
have been around MMY quite a bit for a while. Did you
originally feel love and divinity in him?

... Chet

Chet

Dec 9, 2002, 12:36:24 PM12/9/02
On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 11:06:21 -0200, John Manning
<joh...@terra.com.br> wrote:

> And while I was involved with the Movement, I had worked
>exclusively under SRM as an initiator and reported directly to Charlie.
>SRM characterized and gave expression to what I had known since
>childhood.
>
>At that same time, Jerry Jarvis and SIMS were taking center stage. This
>was when the TMO went 'scientific'. (That doesn't mean that SRM
>disappeared. It never did. In fact, I personally know 6 SRM initiators.)

It's interesting to me. Because when I was still a lad,
I had been intiated and when MMY and the entourage were
going to be at Humboldt State U (Arcata), I signed up
and attended (I seem to remember it was a month-long
course). It was, for 15 or 20% of the people there, a
jumping-off point toward becoming an initiator.

There was a fellow there staying in the same motel
block as me, and he was already an SRM teacher and
administrator. His name was Herb something (he was
pretty young, so I believe some called him "Herbie").
Do you know who I mean? I always wondered what happened
to that guy, if he stayed in the movement, etc.

... Chet

... Chet

John Manning

Dec 9, 2002, 1:22:21 PM12/9/02

Chet wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 11:06:21 -0200, John Manning
> <joh...@terra.com.br> wrote:
>
> > And while I was involved with the Movement, I had worked
> >exclusively under SRM as an initiator and reported directly to Charlie.
> >SRM characterized and gave expression to what I had known since
> >childhood.
> >
> >At that same time, Jerry Jarvis and SIMS were taking center stage. This
> >was when the TMO went 'scientific'. (That doesn't mean that SRM
> >disappeared. It never did. In fact, I personally know 6 SRM initiators.)
>
> It's interesting to me. Because when I was still a lad,
> I had been intiated and when MMY and the entourage were
> going to be at Humboldt State U (Arcata), I signed up
> and attended (I seem to remember it was a month-long
> course). It was, for 15 or 20% of the people there, a
> jumping-off point toward becoming an initiator.

Yes. As I recall there were approximately 5000 participants when I first
went there. About 300 of us attended the remainder of the course at
Estes Park, Co. Many went on later to the TTC in Majorca, Spain.

> There was a fellow there staying in the same motel
> block as me, and he was already an SRM teacher and
> administrator. His name was Herb something (he was
> pretty young, so I believe some called him "Herbie").
> Do you know who I mean? I always wondered what happened
> to that guy, if he stayed in the movement, etc.

I'm sorry, the name doesn't ring a bell. That was some 30 years ago.
Time sure flies by!

John

> ... Chet
>
> ... Chet

John Manning

Dec 9, 2002, 2:18:33 PM12/9/02

That's very difficult to answer. I spent the one month with him in
Humboldt, where, as you recall he gave very long lectures every day. And
then I spent 2 more months with him in Estes Park - where again, we had
3 two hour lectures a day, except toward the middle of the course when
it was once or twice a day. Everyone was rounding. Then towards the end,
it was once again 3 per day.

I would have to say that, at the time, I was in awe of him. But he
always seemed somehow to be elusive. You could never really get a handle
on where he was coming from.

At one point in the course, I noticed that people were putting their
jewelry, especially necklaces, on Maharishi's microphone or on the table
next to where he would sit. I couldn't get an answer about why they were
doing this, but I had a neck chain with a teardrop. One side was a
picture of Guru Dev. The other side was a picture of Maharishi. Before
one of the lectures I hung my neck chain on his microphone. After that
night's lecture, I went up to retrieve the chain. Maharishi was still on
the stage and quickly looked at me. I carefully took the chain from the
mike and as I was walking away, put it around my neck. Immediately, I
got a strong electric shock where the chain touched my neck and shirt. I
can only call it an electric shock because it was so powerful. But it
was not at all unpleasant. I became very light headed - as if I was in a
daze. This lasted for about 1/2 hour. I wouldn't necessarily call that
love or divinity. I really don't know what to call it.

I had a number of other experiences with Maharishi in that vein. But
your question was: "Did you originally feel love and divinity in him?" I
suppose I would have to say that after I had met him, no, not
particularly. And I was never really very comfortable around him.

I'll tell you something about Charlie. In that episode where he lay
dying in the Dr's office, there was more to what happened. Charlie was
offered a position as a great master in his own right in this lifetime,
but apart from Maharishi - or to do the same, if he wished, in a future
lifetime. Charlie declined the offer to separate from Maharishi. Rather
he chose to use his abilities to encourage and to support current
meditators in their progress. And he did this powerfully and
effectively, all over the United States until his health prevented him
from continuing. I have encountered, just myself, dozens of meditators
who, because of Charlie's influence - and in spite of the current TMO -
continue their practise.

John

> ... Chet

Chet

Dec 9, 2002, 2:07:07 PM12/9/02
On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 16:22:21 -0200, John Manning
<joh...@terra.com.br> wrote:

>> It's interesting to me. Because when I was still a lad,
>> I had been intiated and when MMY and the entourage were
>> going to be at Humboldt State U (Arcata), I signed up
>> and attended (I seem to remember it was a month-long
>> course). It was, for 15 or 20% of the people there, a
>> jumping-off point toward becoming an initiator.
>
>Yes. As I recall there were approximately 5000 participants when I first
>went there. About 300 of us attended the remainder of the course at
>Estes Park, Co. Many went on later to the TTC in Majorca, Spain.

<snip>

>John

John...

Each of us has a different perspective on those days,
with different factors coming into play... like why we
got into TM in the first place, who initiated you, what
your expectations were, how closely (or distantly) you
got involved with the movement, whether or not you went
on residence courses, etc.

I was like a lot of the young people at the Arcata
course... spiritual nephews of Donovan, the Beatles,
the Beach Boys. (In fact a couple of the Beach Boys
were are that course.) Most of the young people looked
hippie-style, more or less. Not to say we did not have
independence of mind, too. I was in the middle of
university education, and I had read about yoga and zen
and things like that. I had my own reasons for wanting
spirituality and liberation.

I was positively impressed by the general vibration of
the crowd who attended the month-lomg course. I was too
much of an 'outer-circle' person to understand the
shift in power and emphasis going on between SRM and
SIMS/SCI. My sense of it at the time was
non-threatening... I figured MMY felt it was a better
ploy to appeal to the needy mass of humanity in the
Western world to go with a "scientific" rhetoric. I
thought there was a certain pragmatism in that.

But I decided to hang back from greater involvement
with the movement for at least a couple reasons. MMY
got very angry at a young guy who went up to a mike and
asked a question (M didn't like the guy's headband).
And his anger spilled over into an anger apparently at
the whole assembled audience; he skipped the next
lecture. Then, too, MMY referred to the TM movement as
'his' (MMY's) movement, which somehow made it feel less
"our" movement... at least to me.

But I went up to him on the stage on the last day, just
before we all left, with a little crowd of others and
we were all offering flowers. He walked across and
accepted the flower from each person. I guess the
aforementioned kinks in the situation were on my mind a
bit, because when I gave M the flower I looked into his
eyes, and my expression probably asked "who/what are
you?" And I didn't get a smile from M. And I never knew
what to make of that.

So I never felt drawn into the movement, really. And
possibly because of that I never felt the deep
resentment that a lot of former initiaors and TMO staff
have felt and expressed on this board and on TranceNet.

... Chet

BillyG.

Dec 9, 2002, 4:39:12 PM12/9/02
"Death is more painful than the sting of a thousand scorpions", is the way I
remember it Ken. However, after a little research on my own, I think, it
really depends on how long you live and, how, you live. Remember he also
said, "There is no glory in a short life", and the difference between
someone dying young and old is the difference between a seed coming out of a
ripe fruit and a raw fruit! These statements are contradictory, and I
guess, best taken in context. I think Charlie had a flair for the dramatic.
Billyg.

"Ken Hassman" <kenha...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > on earth. You are the lights.Keep the
> > lights burning."
> >

> > http://www.charlieandhelen.com/love1.html

BillyG.

Dec 9, 2002, 4:41:30 PM12/9/02
Chet-Herb Kare?

"Chet" <mcca...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

John Manning

Dec 9, 2002, 6:34:30 PM12/9/02

Maybe you are very fortunate not to have gotten into the 'mix'. If you
are still practising TM, I can not add much more to what Charlie said
all along to all meditators:

"Never doubt you have the highest wisdom
on earth. You are the lights… Keep the
lights burning."

John

> ... Chet

Chet

Dec 9, 2002, 7:34:42 PM12/9/02
On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 21:34:30 -0200, John Manning
<joh...@terra.com.br> wrote:

>Chet wrote:
<snip>

>> So I never felt drawn into the movement, really. And
>> possibly because of that I never felt the deep
>> resentment that a lot of former initiaors and TMO staff
>> have felt and expressed on this board and on TranceNet.
>
>Maybe you are very fortunate not to have gotten into the 'mix'. If you
>are still practising TM, I can not add much more to what Charlie said
>all along to all meditators:
>
>"Never doubt you have the highest wisdom
>on earth. You are the lights… Keep the
>lights burning."
>
>John

Hard to know whether I was and am fortunate or not.
Sometimes it all seems like impersonal karma.

I'd have had a very hard time being party to selling
very expensive courses and services, on the one hand,
and plastic miniature Vedic observatories, on the
other. But that's just me. I've even considered that it
might be a personal limitation (that I might be prone
to failing "tests of faith"). Who can say?

But as to doing TM, I was consistent for many years
(over 20), then the effects seemed to interfere with my
life and became impractical. I quit meditating. Then I
got into another self-development approach.

The thing is, for a number of years now I've looked at
and spoken of TM as "one tool in the toolbox"... with
the thought that there are others, too. I can choose to
do TM, now, if I want or to do another meditation
practice if I want.

Highest *teaching*? What is being referred to? The
meditation technology, or the stated goal toward which
all the practices and courses are aimed? Did Charlie
distinguish between the two? Did he continue in the
conviction that the two were one and the same?

... Chet

John Manning

Dec 9, 2002, 10:17:14 PM12/9/02

Chet wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 21:34:30 -0200, John Manning
> <joh...@terra.com.br> wrote:
>

> >Chet wrote:
> <snip>

(snip)

> Highest *teaching*? What is being referred to?

A method to complete fulfillment.

The
> meditation technology, or the stated goal toward which
> all the practices and courses are aimed?

Charlie focused on the transcendental meditation technique alone as the
*complete* means to the stated goal. He took a dim view about the siddhi
programs and told Maharishi such.

Did Charlie
> distinguish between the two?

Charlie always said that just the TM initiation would totally bring you
Home within seven lifetimes. He said that Maharishi had told him this.

There ARE other methods. Most take a really, really long time. They
involve pleasing 'gods' or 'gurus' at lower levels. TM reaches beyond
ALL the 'levels' when you transcend.

Did he continue in the
> conviction that the two were one and the same?

I suspect that if you spoke with Charlie privately, he would ask you if
you could tell him any results you had gotten from any other practise
that were 'better' than TM. Further, from my own experience with him in
that regard, he would explain to you exactly what you experienced and
why. But Charlie wouldn't ever trash your endeavor. He would even, like
a child, want to know every detail. But as he was, he would always
accept you as you are - and whatever choice you made. I know this
because he did that for me.

All roads lead to Rome. It's a rigged game. No one gets to be miserable
forever. Don't think that you can escape total fulfillment. It ain't in
the cards. Apart from the disaster of the current organization and *its*
stated goals, you can be comfortable and confident that your own noble
intentions and aspirations will be fully realized, if that is your aim.
That also applies to everyone - whether they practise TM or not. TM just
brings it about a thousand times more quickly.

You might think, "Great." But those assholes who currently run the TMO
under Maharishi, will find themselves, in a short time, out on the
street, as it were. Just like Jerry Jarvis.

In a way, Maharishi is a bitter poison, as is your TM. It will
eventually destroy your ego - painfully and sorrowfully. There will be
nothing left but your Divinity. Most TMr's don't have a clue about this
process at all. They think, and have been told, that everything gets
better. Look at the results for yourself in the TMO. Look around at
TMr's that you know.

Now you might ask what *I* do about all of this. Or what practise have
*I* adopted since I no longer practise TM.

My answer is that I'm quite content to just be who I am. I have no
'practise'. The turmoil of it all is not 'mine' any longer. And after
having slowly gotten over the misery of my own involvement in it all,
I'm still learning.

Please don't look to me (as if that might have been a consideration).
Divinity is within yourself - where it always has been. It will never go
away. Never. It is your Home - and it doesn't require, in my view,
terrible suffering to find. It's already just there. Always has been.
It's so simple.

Well, apparently it isn't so simple for some. That's why Guru's come to
sweetly seduce you into knowing what you already know. Divinity will
always provide for your needs that way.

John

> ... Chet

Judy Stein

Dec 10, 2002, 1:23:27 AM12/10/02
mcca...@hotmail.com (Chet) wrote in message news:<3df53488...@news.netidea.com>...
<snip>

Highest *teaching*? What is being referred to? The
> meditation technology, or the stated goal toward which
> all the practices and courses are aimed? Did Charlie
> distinguish between the two? Did he continue in the
> conviction that the two were one and the same?

It's really surprising you would ask this, Chet, given
all your experience being around Maharishi and listening
to his lectures, and having had extensive experience of
the technique.

Judy Stein

Dec 10, 2002, 1:28:43 AM12/10/02
John Manning <joh...@terra.com.br> wrote in message news:<3DF55CBA...@terra.com.br>...
<snip>

This gets my vote for best post of the year on alt.m.t.

Kudos, John.

John Manning

Dec 10, 2002, 7:55:27 AM12/10/02

That means a lot to me personally Judy. Thank you.

John

Tom Pall

Dec 10, 2002, 9:21:19 AM12/10/02

"Ken Hassman" <kenha...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> John,
>
> Hey thanks for the post and especially for the link to the tribute
> website. Though Jessimine Verril was my initiator, Charlie did my
> three nights of checking and was great as always and ever. On the
> third night, where we usually talk about development of higher states
> of consciousness, he told us that if you died unenlightened, the pain
> as the soul was ripped out the top of the skull was the equivalent to
> the sting of 10,000 scorpions and I really tripped out-thought the
> whole thing was great. A woman in the group got upset and Charlie,
> using a phrase I was to hear him repeat many many times over the many
> years I went to hear him/see him said, "Just treat it like fiction"
> (something close to that).
>
> Ken Hassman

(snip)

I never met or saw Charlie. Mostly because statements 10,000 scorpions made
members of SIMS, from which I was initiated and whose centers I hung around,
consider Charlie a kook. When Charlie came to town, the Center posted the
announcement, but pretty much regarded it as a freak show.

John Manning

Dec 10, 2002, 9:19:44 AM12/10/02

The real freak show is the current TMO.

willytex

Dec 11, 2002, 1:05:39 AM12/11/02

> There was only one Charlie Lutes. That's for sure.

John - Maybe the only factual thing you've said about Charlie this year.

>> I never met or saw Charlie.

Tom - Charlie was a great guy, rest his soul, except that in the early days
he hated hippies to no end. Some of those stories that John tells don't hold
up when you consider how much Charlie disliked certain types of people.
Charlie was responsible for the whole Beatles fiasco at Rishikesh, according
to Nancy Cook de Herrara. Charlie was a suit to be sure, and he didn't mix
well with the youthful culture of the day.

Don't pay any attention to those rumors about Jerry Jarvis posted here by
John Manning. Jerry was the best thing that ever happened to the TM
Movement.

Jerry Jarvis was like a breath of fresh air after visiting with the folks
down at the local SRM in LA. Before Jerry came along the Movement was going
nowhere, and in fact, the SRM had even lost their lease down on Santa Monica
Blvd by 1965. In my opinion, the early SRM represented everything that was
reactionary. At that time, many people wanted to turn TM into a religion or
a cult. In contrast, Jerry represented students and rational thinking. Under
Jerry's direction, SIMS, SCI and MIU were established. Jerry retired from
the TMO years ago, but if he was still around, things would be a lot
different I'm sure!

In contrast, Charlie was a life-long Theosophist who followed the teachings
of the Ascended Masters. Charlie studied under Manly Palmer Hall for years
and Charlie could recite Blavatsky phrases by heart. Basically, Charlie
believed in a Spiritual Hierarchy composed of the Great White Brotherhood
with Koot Hoomi at the top. Apparently, Charlie was not a teacher of TM, but
he was certified by Maharsihi as a TM Guide. Charlie believed in TM and
Charlie loved the Maharsihi, but he had his own ideas of how to run the TMO.

Photo of MaHARISHI, Jerry Jarvis, Charles Lutes, And Helen Lutes:
http://willytex.home.texas.net/archives/srm02.jpg

Excerpt From Galaxy of Fire by Jay Latham:

"This was a great time for TM. Maharishi had a fantastic organization in the
States. Jerry Jarvis was our national leader and, in my opinion, the most
popular leader in the history of the TM movement other than Maharishi. Under
Jerry were four regional coordinators. Charlie Donahue was in charge of the
Eastern USA. Bobby Lee ran the South. Stan Crowe and Bill Witherspoon headed
up the Midwest and Western states. Under them were state coordinators and
regional lecturers such as John Shaw and Larry Kutt, two personal friends of
mine. We were one well-coordinated, motivated, successful group, coast-to-
coast. The result of this organization was that more than one million people
started TM in the United States by the end of the seventies. Under the
leadership of Maharishi, Jerry Jarvis and the four regional coordinators,
around forty thousand people per month were starting TM, making the American
TM organization the most successful of all the countries teaching TM in the
world."

Work cited:

"Galaxy of Fire"
by Jay Latham
Sunstar, 2000
p. 219-220.

"Tom Pall" <AWAYtp...@realtimeAWAY.net> wrote in
<3df5...@giga.realtime.net>:

>"Ken Hassman" <kenha...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> John,
>>
>> Hey thanks for the post and especially for the link to the tribute
>> website. Though Jessimine Verril was my initiator, Charlie did my
>> three nights of checking and was great as always and ever. On the
>> third night, where we usually talk about development of higher states
>> of consciousness, he told us that if you died unenlightened, the pain
>> as the soul was ripped out the top of the skull was the equivalent to
>> the sting of 10,000 scorpions and I really tripped out-thought the
>> whole thing was great. A woman in the group got upset and Charlie,
>> using a phrase I was to hear him repeat many many times over the many
>> years I went to hear him/see him said, "Just treat it like fiction"
>> (something close to that).
>>
>> Ken Hassman
>
>(snip)

c Mostly because statements 10,000 scorpions

George DeForest

Dec 11, 2002, 1:19:10 AM12/11/02
John Manning wrote:
> I said, "Maharishi, I don't understand."
> MMY pointed to Carolyn and said, "'SHE' understands!"
> He said it *VERY* harshly. Then he said, "GO!"
>
> Carolyn was the mother of my three children.
> She had done this stuff innocently.

what stuff had she done innocently? TTC??

> I was quite shaken by MMY's answer...

were you shaken because of his harsh tone,
or because he was blaming your wife?

> and I looked to my wife for the 'understanding'
> that MMY had said that she had.

was he incorrect? perhaps mis-informed by Jerry?

> she said, "I don't know anything. I'm terrified...

was she denying something, because she didnt want to tell you?
was she terrified because somehow MMY knew what she had done?

> ...and I'm getting the fuck out of here

> whether you come with me or not!"

had she betrayed MMY, and was therefore afraid that
if you found out, you might not go with her?

john,
i ask because i dont understand what really happened,
and i think maybe you dont either...your story is
not quite enough information to explain why,
from that moment on, you rejected MMY.

[however, if these questions are "too personal" and
"none of my business", then please just skip them.]

John Manning

Dec 11, 2002, 8:07:30 AM12/11/02

George DeForest wrote:

> John Manning wrote:
> > I said, "Maharishi, I don't understand."
> > MMY pointed to Carolyn and said, "'SHE' understands!"
> > He said it *VERY* harshly. Then he said, "GO!"
> >
> > Carolyn was the mother of my three children.
> > She had done this stuff innocently.
>
> what stuff had she done innocently? TTC??

Yes. She just thought the whole thing was kind of 'groovy'. She didn't
really take it all too seriously.

> > I was quite shaken by MMY's answer...
>
> were you shaken because of his harsh tone,
> or because he was blaming your wife?

He didn't say anything to my wife. READ the quote:

"MMY pointed to Carolyn and said, "'SHE' understands!" He said it *VERY*
harshly. Then he said, "GO!"

> > and I looked to my wife for the 'understanding'
> > that MMY had said that she had.
>
> was he incorrect?

Yes. He was incorrect. My wife had had nothing to do with teaching and
organizational activities. She was not involved in it at all. At most,
she would simply politely socialize at the Center.

> perhaps mis-informed by Jerry?

That's likely the case. But how could I really know?

> > she said, "I don't know anything. I'm terrified...
>
> was she denying something, because she didnt want to tell you?

She simply didn't know what the hell was going on. And neither did I.
She couldn't conceive that Maharishi could sit next to smarmy Jerry
Jarvis after his ugly insulting remark - and then, when I simply said,
"I don't understand Maharishi", that Maharishi would point to her and
tell me harshly, "'SHE' understands!" Then he said, "Go!" The whole
thing was totally bizarre

> was she terrified because somehow MMY knew what she had done?

Your assuming something here in your question - 'that my wife had *done*
something'. That's like the question, "How often do you beat your wife?"

Like I said, she wasn't involved in any TM related activities after TTC.
She had just had a baby (now 3 children to take care of). She was a
housewife. Her only participation in anything TM related was to
occasionally accompany me when I lectured. She wasn't interested in
doing more than that.

> > ...and I'm getting the fuck out of here
> > whether you come with me or not!"
>
> had she betrayed MMY, and was therefore afraid that
> if you found out, you might not go with her?

Carolyn genuinely didn't have a clue what the hell Maharishi meant. And
neither did I. She knew, however that I was totally committed to TM. Up
until that episode with Maharishi, she had totally supported my efforts.
At this point, she withdrew that support.

> john,
> i ask because i dont understand what really happened,
> and i think maybe you dont either...your story is
> not quite enough information to explain why,
> from that moment on, you rejected MMY.

It wasn't just that moment. Although that was a significant one in my
perception of Maharishi. And I said it was the 'beginning' of the end -
not the end - for my loss of respect for Maharishi, and later, my total
withdrawal from and rejection of the TMO.

After arriving home, I called Charlie and shared what had happened. His
take on it was that Jerry and SIMS were going gang-busters in great
success. And Maharishi couldn't afford to 'get into it' with Jerry.

Jerry was critically aware of who I was. And he was in the middle of a
political maneuver to take over the SRM Center in Salt Lake City (where
I taught and lectured) and convert it to a SIMS Center. And that's a
whole other ugly story. But it very likely came into play at that
meeting with Maharishi.

John Manning

Dec 11, 2002, 8:25:31 AM12/11/02
Willytex LIES again:

"Apparently, Charlie was not a teacher of TM, but

he was certified by Maharishi as a TM Guide..."

FACT: Charlie Lutes was made an initiator by Maharishi - upon
Maharishi's insistence. Charlie told me that he had had a hell of a time
memorizing the puja. Charlie never wanted to initiate however. He
preferred to lecture.

ALSO: Charlie had an extensive metaphysical background. He was an
encyclopedia of information - which he used *only* to lend support and
encouragement to meditators everywhere - to continue their practise of
TM. NEVER did Charlie promote other teachings! Anyone who had any
extensive attendance at his lectures knows this to be the case.

John Manning

willytex

Dec 11, 2002, 12:37:11 PM12/11/02
> Charlie Lutes was made an initiator by Maharishi...

John - I have found no evidence that Charlie was an initiator. Before Jerry
Jarvis became a teacher, Beaulah Smith came down from Canada to do the
initations at the SRM. According to Beaulah, I am initiate #212 in the US.
If Charlie was an initiator, what TTC course did he attend? The first TTC
was held in 1967.

> Anyone who had any extensive attendance
> at his lectures knows this to be the case.

I did, from 1964-1966. Charlie never taught anyone TM, but gave many
lecturers at the SRM Center based in LA. In the early days Charlie pretty
much stuck to explaining TM according to Maharisihi's interpretation.
However, there have been numerous reports that in his later life Charlie
deviated from Maharsihi extensively in explaining the mechanics of TM.
Apparently, Charlie was a life-long TM meditator, but Charlie was asked not
to officailly represent the TMO, just like you were.

But, that doesn't prevent anyone from having their own opinions about the
practice of TM or about the Maharisihi. But, you shouldn't post
unsubstantiated rumors which slander other people, especailly when you are
trying to laud others.

I think you owe Jerry Jarvis an apology.

> NEVER did Charlie promote other teachings!

You are painting with a very wide brush. He most certainly did; Charlie was
a Theosophist and a Mason, and would talk about with anyone about his
beliefs in the Ascended Masters and the Heirarchy.

John Manning <joh...@terra.com.br> wrote in

willytex

Dec 11, 2002, 12:45:40 PM12/11/02
> He can't even go back to India without facing
> massive tax violations.

Jeff - This is a bald-faced lie.

> I have experienced the energy of 'Shiva'.
> 'He' is a lower level 'god' that only has
> the power that you give 'him'.

Bullshit scatology.

"Jeff E" <parad...@winshop.com.au> wrote in
<3df4...@hawk.winshop.com.au>:

> [...]

>> John, hi ...
>>
>> Please explain something to me. I understand the great
>> respect you had for Charlie. You've written of it here,
>> quite a number of times as I recall.
>>

>> You post the message that Charlie "worked tirelessly

>> for one thing -- to inform meditators of the greatness
>> of what they have and to inspire them to stay on the

>> path." But at the same time you have been unequivocally
>> critical of MMY and the movement, and have said that
>> you felt more love in your heart as a child than you
>> did after many years of practicing TM.
>>

>> Charlie and his former teacher Mr. Hall became
>> convinced that there was no higher teaching in Creation
>> than MMY's. Yet you've expressed that you cannot
>> stomach the movement and have no respect for MMY.
>>

>> How does all of this go together for you? Among other
>> things, I'm just wondering why you posted the complete

willytex

Dec 11, 2002, 12:58:38 PM12/11/02
> Charlie and his former teacher Mr. Hall became
> convinced that there was no higher teaching in Creation
> than MMY's...

Chet - For the record, there is no evidence that Manly Palmer Hall was
convinced that MMY had the 'highest teaching in Creation.' Apparently, Mr.
Hall did not practice TM.

John Manning

Dec 11, 2002, 3:30:21 PM12/11/02

willytex wrote:

> > Charlie Lutes was made an initiator by Maharishi...
>
> John - I have found no evidence that Charlie was an initiator.

I just told you, moron. I get the feeling that you really don't want it
to be true. I think it may have something to do with the fact that you,
yourself, never became an initiator. (I don't think you'd qualify.)
Well, sorry Willytex - but it 'is' true. Maybe BillyG knows, or Ken
Hassmen. But certainly Lynn Napper and Jim Rimbey know that Charlie was

made an initiator by Maharishi.

Before Jerry
> Jarvis became a teacher, Beaulah Smith came down from Canada to do the
> initations at the SRM. According to Beaulah, I am initiate #212 in the US.
> If Charlie was an initiator, what TTC course did he attend?

He didn't. Not as a participant. Because of the years he spent with
Maharishi in the early days, Maharishi didn't require Charlie to attend
any course. But he (Maharishi) insisted that Charlie become an
initiator. It happened on one of the India courses. (I believe it was
the last India course. But I'm not sure.)

The first TTC
> was held in 1967.
>
> > Anyone who had any extensive attendance
> > at his lectures knows this to be the case.
>
> I did, from 1964-1966. Charlie never taught anyone TM, but gave many
> lecturers at the SRM Center based in LA.

That's because he had no desire to initiate. But I already told you that
you nitwit.

In the early days Charlie pretty
> much stuck to explaining TM according to Maharisihi's interpretation.
> However, there have been numerous reports that in his later life Charlie
> deviated from Maharsihi extensively in explaining the mechanics of TM.

That is absolutely false. And if there were any such reports, they were
fabrications by SIMS people or 'planted' by Jerry Jarvis himself. Most
everyone within the TMO, at the time, knew of Jerry's animosity toward
Charlie. In fact, Jerry once got caught red handed with presenting
Maharishi a 'doctored tape' of one of Charlie's lectures. Jerry had
someone surreptitiously record Charlie's lectures. And Jerry supervised
its 'doctoring'. He presented it to Maharishi as 'evidence' that Charlie
was misrepresenting the teaching. (Charlie did not allow tape recordings
of his lectures while I knew him.)

When one of the 'conspirators' confessed to Maharishi, Jerry was
summarily ripped apart by Maharishi. But all of this was kept private.
Charlie heard about it directly from Maharishi (which gives a little
indication about the close relationship that they had).

This is the kind of stuff that Jerry and the SIMS higher-ups resorted
to. And it's the kind of mentality that currently pervades the TMO
administration.

> Apparently, Charlie was a life-long TM meditator, but Charlie was asked not
> to officailly represent the TMO, just like you were.

That is also completely false on both counts. It never happened to me -
and it never happened to Charlie. You are LYING again Willytex. You are
a known, documented LIAR. Everyone knows it.

> But, that doesn't prevent anyone from having their own opinions about the
> practice of TM or about the Maharisihi. But, you shouldn't post
> unsubstantiated rumors which slander other people, especailly when you are
> trying to laud others.

I have done no such thing. It is 'you' that have done just what you have
accused me of. And BTW, you posted in another message that Lynn Napper
and Jim Rimbey took the Siddhi's course. That is another LIE. You are a
LIAR Willytex.

> I think you owe Jerry Jarvis an apology.

Think what you like. I stand by my words. Sadly, you being a known
documented LIAR, cannot stand by yours.

> > NEVER did Charlie promote other teachings!

> You are painting with a very wide brush. He most certainly did;

He most certainly did not! You are LYING again Willytex.

Charlie was
> a Theosophist and a Mason, and would talk about with anyone about his
> beliefs in the Ascended Masters and the Heirarchy.

Charlie had an extensive metaphysical background and an excellent and
quite thorough knowledge about other systems and philosophies - which is
what one would expect from a man of his stature. But he NEVER *promoted*
any teaching but TM.

Maybe you'll learn to tell the truth in this lifetime Willytex. But I'm
not optimistic with how you continue to LIE, even after you've been
called on it numerous times. It seems to be pathological with you. Known
documented LIARS have no credibility Willytex.

BillyG.

Dec 11, 2002, 5:05:09 PM12/11/02
Generally, Willy- I would have to agree with you. Although, I believe
Charlie was made privy to the mantras, vis-a-vis, MMY, however I don't know
for sure.
<willytex (willytex)> wrote in message

BillyG.

Dec 11, 2002, 5:13:20 PM12/11/02
The only thing I remember Charlie *promoting* was the book, "The Rosicrucian
Cosmo Conception", by Max Heindel. He thought it to be the best book out
there on the subject. He was distanced by the TMO, and he accepted that,
even Helen apparently remarked, "He was not teaching the according to MMY".
He did qualify his remarks however, and when we went to the Felicia Mahood
retirement center and had meeting there it was just called 'Charlies', not
SRM. He accepted the distancing of the TMO but still encouraged program
including the Siddhis, and Ayurved programs, he was not a Siddha.

"John Manning" <joh...@terra.com.br> wrote in message

John Manning

Dec 11, 2002, 8:41:13 PM12/11/02

"BillyG." wrote:

> The only thing I remember Charlie *promoting* was the book, "The Rosicrucian
> Cosmo Conception", by Max Heindel.

That's just education. Likely an answer to a question posed to him.
Charlie did NOT *promote* any other practise than TM, *EVER*!

He thought it to be the best book out
> there on the subject. He was distanced by the TMO, and he accepted that,

Charlie Lutes was NEVER distanced from Maharishi and TM - except in the
minds of those who wished it to be so. Jerry Jarvis and his cronies
hated him. They were jealous of him - because of his favored status with
Maharishi - and what he represented. That's the simple truth. Maharishi,
is today (by his own choices), left with the results of the the
'successes' of the destruction of SRM. That is what you see in front of
your eyes as the current total bullshit of the TMO.

> even Helen apparently remarked, "He was not teaching the according to MMY".

Apparently? I really doubt that Helen said any such thing. I knew her
personally and spent much time with her. She fiercely (even viciously at
times) defended Charlie and Maharishi. And she would *effectively* rip
anyone apart anyone who would even remotely challenge their integrity in
any way. [Charlie would often say that he couldn't ever get away with
anything with Helen. She was extremely intuitive and always knew if
Charlie 'transgressed' even slightly. Then she would effectively hammer
him into 'repentance'.]

> He did qualify his remarks however, and when we went to the Felicia Mahood
> retirement center and had meeting there it was just called 'Charlies', not
> SRM.

That is to his credit. He never wanted to cause any dissension or
conflict. And, at that juncture, he was recognized for who he was, a
fountain of knowledge and an impeccable source of encouragement and
support for the TM meditators (all of them) whom he loved.

> He accepted the distancing of the TMO

He didn't make distinctions about any 'distancing'. Those are in your
mind only.

but still encouraged program
> including the Siddhis, and Ayurved programs, he was not a Siddha.

Charlie had always had a dim view of the Siddhi's program and never
really encouraged it. He also didn't publicly go against it. His every
effort was to support and encourage meditators to continue their
practise of TM.

John Manning

willytex

Dec 11, 2002, 8:46:35 PM12/11/02
> I have found no evidence that Charlie was an initiator.

>> I just told you, moron.

John - But, if you lied to all those people for all those years [sic] why
should anyone believe a thing you say now? You broke your word about
revealing the teaching and you called Maharsihi evil.

>> But certainly Lynn Napper and Jim Rimbey know that
>> Charlie was made an initiator by Maharishi.

According to Lynn Napper and Jim Rimbey he was not. If he was it would have
been mentioned on the Website, would it not?

> ...what TTC course did he attend?

>> He didn't.

Then Charlie was not a teacher of TM.

> It happened on one of the India courses.

According to Nancy Cook de Hererra, Charlie never attended an India course.

> Charlie deviated from Maharsihi extensively
> in explaining the mechanics of TM.

>> That is absolutely false.

Not according to Nancy, Billy, and Judy.

> Apparently, Charlie was a life-long TM meditator,
> but Charlie was asked not to officailly represent
> the TMO, just like you were.

>> That is also completely false on both counts.

Both you and Charlie (rest his soul) do not represent the TMO. According to
your own post the Maharisihi told you to go, that your services were no
longer needed. Apparently, you sucked as a teacher. Why you hung around the
TMO for fifteen more years, after getting dumped by your wife and your guru
is anybody's guess. Go figure.

>> Sadly, you being a known documented LIAR,
>> cannot stand by yours.

I stand by my words; post the documentation here. Now you owe me ANOTHER
apology!

From: BillyG <wmur...@earthlink.net>
Newsgroups: alt.meditation.transcendental
Date: 2002-12-11 16:04:02

From: Judy Stein (jst...@panix.com)
Subject: Re: Are there any really spiritual people left in the tm movement?
Newsgroups: alt.meditation.transcendental
Date: 2002-10-26 20:08:01 PST

<snip>

From: Judy Stein (jst...@panix.com)
Subject: Re: Charlie-1 of MMY's best supporters.
Newsgroups: alt.meditation.transcendental
Date: 2000/03/13

<snip>

Get real. Charlie Lutes gives his all to himself.

I went to one of his lectures in NYC (cost around $50 as I
recall) out of curiosity some years back. I remember an account
of how he had talked to fairies and elves in his garden and a
whole bunch of other ultraweird stuff. Mentioned TM and MMY
respectfully but more or less in passing. I don't recall him
saying anything about TM being the best way to enlightenment.

I got onto his mailing list and still receive lecture
announcements from time to time from his organization when he's
in the general area. He sometimes gives weekend seminars for a
couple of hundred bucks. The flyers extol the great spirituality
of Charlie Lutes, even have a cute little drawing of him, but say
nothing whatsoever about TM.

Chet

Dec 11, 2002, 8:31:49 PM12/11/02
On 9 Dec 2002 22:23:27 -0800, jst...@panix.com (Judy
Stein) wrote:

Not from my perspective. I'm asking John what he knew
of Charlie's attitude, and I did not know Charlie.

According to the bio info provided in John's earlier
posts, Charlie seems to have been led to MMY's
teaching, and Charlie seems (if I'm not mistaken) to
have been attracted both to the "teaching" (which may
be the philosophy and/or the TM technique) and to MMY.

But all my "experience being around Maharishi" was only
one month... far less than some people have had.
Perhaps far less than you have had. Other lectures that
I heard were on video or audio tape. As to extensive
experience with the technique, I have what most TMers
would have after 20 years-plus of 2x20 and a number of
rounding courses.

I'm actually asking about Charlie Lutes, though. Like
you, like John, like the many others on this board,
I've come to my own terms with the practice, the TMO,
and MMY.

Enjoy life...

... Chet

John Manning

Dec 11, 2002, 9:13:36 PM12/11/02

willytex wrote:

> > I have found no evidence that Charlie was an initiator.
>
> >> I just told you, moron.
>
> John - But, if you lied to all those people for all those years

Which is just BS coming from a known documented LIAR.

[sic] why
> should anyone believe a thing you say now? You broke your word about
> revealing the teaching

Another LIE from you.

> and you called Maharsihi evil.

Maharsihi? Are you drinking again Willytex?

> >> But certainly Lynn Napper and Jim Rimbey know that
> >> Charlie was made an initiator by Maharishi.
>
> According to Lynn Napper and Jim Rimbey he was not.

Gawd Willytex, I know those guys personally. I'd really love to see
their comments about your lies and clown act.

If he was it would have
> been mentioned on the Website, would it not?

It has been mentioned over and over again. Apparently your brain cannot
register it.

> > ...what TTC course did he attend?
>
> >> He didn't.
>
> Then Charlie was not a teacher of TM.

You really are a moron Willytex.

> > It happened on one of the India courses.
>
> According to Nancy Cook de Hererra, Charlie never attended an India course.

Well, Charlie - even according to your demented mind, was at the
Beatles' course. So apparently Nancy Cook de Hererra was wrong.

> > Charlie deviated from Maharsihi extensively
> > in explaining the mechanics of TM.
>
> >> That is absolutely false.
>
> Not according to Nancy, Billy, and Judy.

Well, according to Maharishi, Charlie did not misrepresent him.

> > Apparently, Charlie was a life-long TM meditator,
> > but Charlie was asked not to officailly represent
> > the TMO, just like you were.
>
> >> That is also completely false on both counts.
>
> Both you and Charlie (rest his soul) do not represent the TMO. According to
> your own post the Maharisihi told you to go,

That meant, to leave the room.

that your services were no
> longer needed.

Maharishi did not say that at all. You are LYING again.

> Apparently, you sucked as a teacher.

You are just jealous that you wouldn't qualify to become an initiator
like I did, and Charlie did.

Why you hung around the
> TMO for fifteen more years, after getting dumped by your wife and your guru
> is anybody's guess.

Keep guessing.

> Go figure.

Apparently you cannot 'figure'.

> >> Sadly, you being a known documented LIAR,
> >> cannot stand by yours.
>
> I stand by my words; post the documentation here. Now you owe me ANOTHER
> apology!

OK. But I will do it in a new thread. It's coming right up.

Uncle Tantra

Dec 11, 2002, 10:44:30 PM12/11/02
John Manning wrote:
>Charlie Lutes was NEVER distanced from Maharishi and TM - except in the
>minds of those who wished it to be so. Jerry Jarvis and his cronies
>hated him. They were jealous of him - because of his favored status with
>Maharishi - and what he represented. That's the simple truth.

With all due respect, that's sheer Charlie propaganda.

I was in a position several times to see how Maharishi treated Charlie.
He often kept him waiting in hallways for *hours*, knowing full well that
he was there, knowing he was impatient and would sooner or later
throw a tantrum and stalk off, and then, just when Charlie was about
to storm off in a snit, Maharishi would call him into the room and then
say, "Oh, they (meaning Jerry and/or whoever was on 'door duty' that
night) never told me you were there."

We who were stuck on 'door duty' *always* told Maharishi Charlie
was there. We were instructed to be scrupulous about telling him
whenever *anyone* new arrived. Then *he* decided who got let in and
who didn't, and when. This was just a game he played with Charlie,
and Jerry and those of us stuck in 'door duty' positions knew that part
of the game was *us* taking the blame for it all, and Charlie bad-mouthing
us later about it to anyone who would listen. The man could really, really,
really hold a grudge. "Petty" is a word *invented* for Charlie Lutes.

Anyway, I just thought *someone* should dispel the oft-told rumors.
It was Maharishi's game, not Jerry's. Jerry was an unwilling participant,
as was I, far too often. Charlie was the victim of this game, and as far
as I know, never figured it out.

Unc

Shemp McGurk

Dec 12, 2002, 12:55:13 AM12/12/02
willytex (willytex) wrote in message news:<Xns92E176976...@216.166.71.235>...
> > Charlie Lutes was made an initiator by Maharishi...
>
> John - I have found no evidence that Charlie was an initiator. Before Jerry
> Jarvis became a teacher, Beaulah Smith came down from Canada to do the
> initations at the SRM. According to Beaulah, I am initiate #212 in the US.
> If Charlie was an initiator, what TTC course did he attend? The first TTC
> was held in 1967.

[snip]

Willytex: Whatever happened to Beulah Smith? I have heard about his
legendary "first" initiator since starting TM in '73 but never heard
what became of her, which kinda led me to suspect she either quit
doing TM after awhile or died. Any idea?

Thanks.

John Manning

Dec 12, 2002, 8:34:43 AM12/12/02

Well if that's true - Maharishi's an asshole. (And it further implies
that Maharishi is fully responsible for the joke the TMO has become.)
But that still doesn't mean that Charlie was "distanced from TM and
Maharishi" in the context it was suggested.

JRM

> Unc

Tom Pall

Dec 12, 2002, 8:57:20 AM12/12/02

"John Manning" <joh...@terra.com.br> wrote in message

(snip)

> Well if that's true - Maharishi's an asshole. (And it further implies
> that Maharishi is fully responsible for the joke the TMO has become.)
> But that still doesn't mean that Charlie was "distanced from TM and
> Maharishi" in the context it was suggested.

(snip)

I'm increasingly feeling that much of the stupidity I experienced when
applying to courses and the like were not tests, lessons to make me more
flexible, or the result of my karma, but just because MMY was and is an
asshole.

John Manning

Dec 12, 2002, 8:59:40 AM12/12/02

AND *you* were an asshole for participating.

JRM

> JRM
>

> > Unc

Uncle Tantra

Dec 12, 2002, 7:40:35 PM12/12/02
Unc:

>> Anyway, I just thought *someone* should dispel the oft-told rumors.
>> It was Maharishi's game, not Jerry's. Jerry was an unwilling participant,
>> as was I, far too often. Charlie was the victim of this game, and as far
>> as I know, never figured it out.

John:

>Well if that's true - Maharishi's an asshole.

Not necessarily. Read stories of how other famous teachers
of the past acted. Sometimes they play games with their students'
egos, especially when those egos are rather...uh...inflated and
might be standing in the way of the student's spiritual progress.

In my opinion (and that is all it is), that is what was going on.
Charlie was not the only person to get this kind of treatment,
just the most recognizable. Maharishi really did seem to have
a strong affection for those "old folks" who were the first to take
him in and support him in the West, and he always was nice to
them to their face. However, some of them had kind of an ego-
attachment to being "special," to having a "special relationship"
with Maharishi, and when they were around him, they craved
the same kind of one-on-one attention they used to get back in
the "old days." Charlie was like that, and often Maharishi simply
didn't have the time to spend treating him as if he was special.
So he kept him waiting around while he did real business, and
then let him in at the end of an evening, when Charlie was too
tired to stick around for hours and hours and monopolize MMY's
time. This is just my take on it, as an observer. I cannot, of
course, speak for what might really have been going down on
any deeper level.

>(And it further implies
>that Maharishi is fully responsible for the joke the TMO has become.)
>But that still doesn't mean that Charlie was "distanced from TM and
>Maharishi" in the context it was suggested.

I wasn't disputing that, just the "favored status" stuff. In my
experience, anyone who believed that was soon shut out of
things and kept at a distance, no matter who they were.

This is all stuff from the early 70s, by the way. I cannot speak
for anything that happened after 1976 or so.

Unc

Uncle Tantra

Dec 12, 2002, 9:37:58 PM12/12/02
>>> We who were stuck on 'door duty' *always* told Maharishi Charlie
>>> was there. We were instructed to be scrupulous about telling him
>>> whenever *anyone* new arrived. Then *he* decided who got let in and
>>> who didn't, and when. This was just a game he played with Charlie,
>>> and Jerry and those of us stuck in 'door duty' positions knew that part
>>> of the game was *us* taking the blame for it all, and Charlie
>>> bad-mouthing us later about it to anyone who would listen…
>>>
>>> …Anyway, I just thought *someone* should dispel the oft-told
>>> rumors. It was Maharishi's game, not Jerry's. Jerry was an unwilling
>>> participant, as was I, far too often. Charlie was the victim of this
>>> game, and as far as I know, never figured it out.
>>
>> Well if that's true - Maharishi's an asshole. (And it further implies
>> that Maharishi is fully responsible for the joke the TMO has become.)
>> But that still doesn't mean that Charlie was "distanced from TM and
>> Maharishi" in the context it was suggested.
>
>AND *you* were an asshole for participating.

I'm *still* an asshole, and unashamed to admit it. In my far from
humble opinion, any spiritual seeker who doesn't know he or she
is basically an asshole just hasn't done a whole helluva lot of
introspection along the Way. :-)

As for the situation at hand, I'll let you decide. I was the poor
schmuck stuck with "door duty" one night in L.A. when the people
waiting in the hall were Merv Griffin, Clint Eastwood, Charlie, and
about a dozen Just Meditators. I had dutifully announced everyone
as they arrived to Maharishi, so he knew they were there. Merv and
Clint got in first. Their TV show was the next day; it was an etiquette
no-brainer. :-) Then a couple of the Just Meditators got let in. One
of them was a young woman I had announced several times, because
I'd talked with her a little about why she was there. Then, after a few
hours, Maharishi called Charlie in.

Anyway, I guess my point is, "How do you think I *should* have acted?"

I, as a mid-level flunky so far down on the Power Chain that I was stuck
outside the door while all the action was going down in the room, guess
I could have done more to get the Important people in. Merv and Clint
only waited a few minutes, but I guess I could have announced Charlie
twice. Or maybe three times, since he was so Important.

But, when you think about it, what makes him or Merv or Clint *any*
more Important than the Just Meditators who had been sitting in the
same hallway as Charlie for several more hours than he had? One of
them, the aforementioned young woman, was the first to arrive. We
were alone together in the hall for some time. We talked. She was 22,
a fairly new meditator, really enthusiastic, stunningly beautiful, and
with only two months to live.

I *did* announce her several times. Maharishi saw her first. And you
want me to feel bad because Charlie Lutes had to squat in the hallway
with all the other Just Meditators for another hour while Maharishi
talked to her?

Not bloody likely.

But you are correct. I was then -- and am now -- an asshole. I wouldn't
have it any other Way. :-)

Unc

Judy Stein

Dec 13, 2002, 12:07:29 AM12/13/02
mcca...@hotmail.com (Chet) wrote in message news:<3df7e4e8...@news.netidea.com>...

> On 9 Dec 2002 22:23:27 -0800, jst...@panix.com (Judy
> Stein) wrote:
>
> >mcca...@hotmail.com (Chet) wrote in message news:<3df53488...@news.netidea.com>...
> ><snip>
> > Highest *teaching*? What is being referred to? The
> >> meditation technology, or the stated goal toward which
> >> all the practices and courses are aimed? Did Charlie
> >> distinguish between the two? Did he continue in the
> >> conviction that the two were one and the same?
> >
> >It's really surprising you would ask this, Chet, given
> >all your experience being around Maharishi and listening
> >to his lectures, and having had extensive experience of
> >the technique.
>
> Not from my perspective. I'm asking John what he knew
> of Charlie's attitude, and I did not know Charlie.

No, I mean, it's a very strange question for anybody
who has *any* familiarity with MMY's teaching to ask about
someone who was very close to MMY. One might ask it
about a person who one thought was confused about TM,
to try to figure out where their misunderstanding was.
But you *do* know Charlie was close to MMY for a number
of years, right?